Variations For This Recipe
Here are some of my favorite combinations:
- Cumin + a couple tablespoonfuls of tomato paste for Mexican rice – Dried oregano + basil (basically any dried leafy herb mixture).
- Curry powder + raisins – A few dashes of soy sauce + sesame oil + minced green onions after the rice is done steaming.
- Garlic powder + stir in chopped fresh parsley after rice is done steaming.
- Any of the above + stir in thawed frozen peas after rice is done steaming.
Top Tips For This Saffron Rice Recipe
- You should soak the threads in a little bit of hot water to really open up the spice and release its flavor. Use the threads+soaking water in your dish.
- Fry onions before steaming the rice. It gives rice an earthy, caramelized onion flavor. You can substitute minced shallots for the onions.
- Salt. Everything tastes better with salt. This rice comes alive when you add something salty to it. In this recipe, I used broth instead of water to steam the rice. Use fresh, canned or concentrated broth base. Now its time to be creative.